Leeds Teaching Hospitals Trust (LTHT) approached WRM in order to deliver a Sustainable Development Management Plan (SDMP) and an ISO14001 accredited Environmental Management System (EMS). LTHT needed support to develop a bespoke suite of sustainability documentation and initiatives in order to drive sustainability and secure senior level buy-in into the sustainability agenda. WRM provided bespoke consultancy support to produce a tailored, unique plan for LTHT that delivered a clear and practicable action plan to advance sustainability at the Trust.
- Promotion of CHP and Solar technologies for on-site, low carbon energy generation
- Cost-benefit analysis of installation of energy efficiency measures
- Upgrade of lighting to LEDs
- Optimisation of air-handling plant
- Worked with clinical colleagues to understand key areas for improvements
- Award nominated work with anaesthetic department to reduce carbon emissions
- Redirected waste streams from High-Temperature Incineration to Waste for Energy plants, delivering carbon and cost savings
- Review and increase in recycling rates
- Introduction of novel approaches, such as recyclable sharps bins
- WRM worked extensively to engage the highest levels of the organisation on the sustainability agenda. Board members including the CEO have been directly involved
- Securing high level involvement has proven invaluable in delivering the agenda
- Worked with procurement colleagues to include sustainability weighting on procurement decisions
- Identification of areas for improvement and support to move towards more sustainable options
- Implementation of the ‘Plan-Do-Check-Act’ cycle and necessary reporting tools, with a view to getting the Trust certified to ISO14001. This enables LTHT to track and monitor how they are performing against key targets
- Promotion of the sustainability agenda amongst Trust colleagues
- Advocacy and education on the sustainability agenda
WRM have identified and implemented actions that will deliver a reduction in CO2e emissions of 16,000 tCO2e/annum.
This has delivered financial savings of £2.5million/annum by the end of the bespoke 5-year plan.
Senior level buy-in from the CEO and board members has also improved significantly, leading to additional support for future work.
We are here to help
If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to contact us.