WRM Sustainability can help guide your organisation to more sustainable, circular business model. Adopting the Circular Economy (CE) is now a stated aim of both EU and UK policy and businesses are being encouraged to move towards this business model. This page provides a brief overview of what the CE is, how it can be achieved and how WRM Sustainability can support your business to implement the CE.
What is the Circular Economy?
The Circular Economy is a new method for conducting business activity. The tradtional business model is often described as “Take-Make-Waste” or as a Linear Economy. This is a business model in which raw materials are acquired, manufactured into a product with a set life-span, before finally being thrown away. This Linear Economy creates numerous sustainability issues, including depletion of natural capital and generation of excess waste.
The Circular Economy aims to reduce the environmental issues associated with the Take-Make-Waste business model. The Circular Economy is based upon three key principles:
- Design out waste and pollution
- Keep products and materials in use
- Regenerate natural systems
The Ellen MacArthur Foundation provides an excellent overview of the merits and concepts of the Circular Economy.
How can organisation adopt the Circular Economy?
The Circular Economy will mean different things to different organisations, depending on the nature and sector of each specific organisation. Examples of practices that can promote the Circular Economy include:
- Manufacturing products from bio-based or renewable materials;
- Replacing non-renewable resources with bio-based or renewable materials;
- Using end of life products and re-using them in new products;
- Developing products as a service;
- Offering customers products for a subscription fee or a usage based charge instead of them owning it; and
- Providing customers an opportunity to buy a pre-defined service and quality level, with a guaranteed outcome.
How can WRM Sustainability help you to adopt the Circular Economy?
We are here to help
If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to contact us.